Chicken Sausage Hand Pies are cute all on their own, but put them with other pies and they are even more adorable – kind of like puppies. Plus, they are fun to make. …but wait! I’m not done yet – there is a double plus. They taste great! …but,oh, wait – there’s more! There is a triple plus found at the end of my post – a surprise.
I’m so pleased for the opportunity to work, once again, with Jones Dairy Farm. I have mentioned my love of their products in other posts and these are two of my favorites: Wild Rice, Jones Sausage & Apple Stuffing and Pepper Jelly Hawaiian Grilled Cheese.
No matter which product you choose, you will end up happy. Jones Dairy products are all-natural with no added chemicals or preservatives and have superb taste. Many of their products are gluten-free including the All-Natural Golden Brown Chicken Sausage Patties used in today’s recipe.
I love easy breakfasts and Chicken Sausage Hand Pies fit that criteria. Here is the quick version of how to make them:
Sauté diced apples and onions until tender. While apples and onions cook, roll out pie crust and cut out eight 4” circles. Place one sausage patty on each circle, top with apples & onions, top with cheese, top with another circle of crust, seal the hand pies with egg wash and bake until golden. Easy as pie. Now is the time to relax, sip a cup of hot java and read the paper before breakfast is ready.
I mentioned a “triple-plus” in my infomercial in the first paragraph and here is the surprise: Jones Dairy Farm would love for you to sign up for their National Breakfast Month Prize Pack Giveaway.
It includes all kinds of useful and fun kitchen items to use when making breakfast and would be so fun to win. Just look at that cute piggy towel and that fantastic griddle.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Jones Dairy Farm, but all opinions are my own.
Chicken Sausage Hand Pies
- 1 package 4 patties Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Chicken Sausage
- Your favorite pie crust enough for 2-crust pie, rolled and cut into 8 rounds, 4” each.
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled & small-diced
- ½ sweet yellow onion small-diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon favorite herbs blend Parisien or Fine Herbs work well
- 1- teaspoon salt
- 1- teaspoon pepper
- dash of red pepper flakes
- opt. ½ cup Gruyere Cheese or Sharp Cheddar optional
- 1 egg
- 1- teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat butter and olive oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add diced apple, onion, herbs, salt, black pepper & red pepper flakes. Sauté until onion is translucent and apple has softened. Remove from heat.
- Space 4, 4” pie crust rounds on the baking sheet, 2” apart.
- Place 1 chicken sausage patty on each round.
- Place 1 tablespoon apple/onion mixture on top of sausage.
- If desired sprinkle cheese on top of apple/onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush the egg wash around the ¼” outer rim of each bottom pie crust.
- Cut a few slits in the middle of the remaining 4 mini pie crusts and drape the top crusts over the top of the prepared hand pies.
- Gently pull the bottom crust edge of each pie up over the top crust – being sure to tuck the top crust into the bottom crust.
- Brush the entire hand pie with egg wash and slightly crimp all around the edges with a fork. If desired, sprinkle top with coarse salt and/or black pepper.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.