Caramel Macadamia Pound Cake
I discovered Caramel Pecan Pound Cake in 2009 while watching an episode of The Neely Road Show on the Food Network Channel. That particular episode was about Not Just Desserts – a bakery in Lee’s Summit, Missouri and that is what caught my attention. My husband and I worked and lived in Lee’s Summit for several years and it is a place dear to both of us.
A few months after the episode aired, I was in Lee’s Summit and went in search of the bakery. Surprisingly, it had closed, but Donnell Chambers’ recipe live on. When I had a small in-home bakery business of my own, I sold this pound cake along with other goodies at our Farmer’s Market and it was a huge hit. I sold it in small loaves and also by the slice. My husband was a most enthusiastic pitchman as he walked the Farmer’s Market handing out samples of Susie G’s cookies and cakes and that is one of the reasons this cake became one of my best sellers. Once tasted, not too many could refuse.
Since I am a huge macadamia nut-lover, I substituted out the pecans and renamed it Caramel Macadamia Pound Cake. The cake is moist, tender, brown sugary and it is topped with the perfect toppings – caramel and toasted macadamias. It can be served as a breakfast cake, dinner dessert or as a snack to take to work. My favorite way to eat it is with a steamy cup of coffee. It is all up to you how and when to eat it, and no matter what you decide, you cannot go wrong.
If anyone knows how to contact Donnell Chambers, please let me know so I can thank him for this terrific cake.
Caramel Macadamia Pound Cake
- For the cake:
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup macadamias or pecans – toasted and chopped – optional (I don’t add nuts to the batter)
- For the Caramel Nut Glaze:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon rum or Southern Comfort - optional
- 1 cup macadamia nuts or pecans – toasted and rough chop
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a bundt or tube pan with baking spray (or grease and flour it)
- Cream butter and sugars until lighter in color and fluffy – about 3 minutes
- Add eggs one-at-a-time. Beat until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter/egg mixture. Beat just until incorporated.
- Add the buttermilk and nuts (if using) – mix until buttermilk is incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan or tube pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until done at 350F.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack to cool.
- Once cooled, pour the warm glaze on top.
- For the Glaze:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and sugar and stir until smooth.
- Add syrup, heavy cream, rum and nuts.
- Bring to a slow boil then remove from the heat.
- Stir the caramel mixture for a few minutes or until slightly cooled then pour over the cake.