When looking at this salad, the first thing that catches the eye is color. It is bursting with shades of reds and greens – two complementary colors on the color wheel. The conversations that happen at the color wheel must be hilarious, and I imagine one of them might go like this.
Green talking to Red, “Hey! Hey you, Red! Yes, you, you beautiful thing! You are one gorgeous hue. You are the color of roses, cherries, lips, rubies, holly berries, autumn leaves, and sometimes the sky at night.
Red responding to Green, “Oh, you do make me blush, sir. You aren’t so bad yourself, you hunky hunk! You are the color of leaves, pistachios, emeralds, limes, peacock feathers and the grassy blanket covering Ireland.
Both talking at the same time, “We complement each other extremely well, let’s get together.”
I don’t know about you, but maybe we should leave those two alone so they can get to know each other in private.
Strawberries & Greens Salad has sweet, smooth strawberries; crunchy toasted almonds; creamy tart goat cheese plus tangy, smooth cheddar. Then it is topped with crunchy, salty croutons. Oh. My. Gosh! Are you still standing? Now, add a drizzle of Sweet & Sour Poppyseed Dressing just to make you swoon.
So, come on, sit down and make your very own Strawberries & Greens Salad aka, “Opposites Attract Salad.” It is just too darned delicious not too.
I highly recommend this other oh-so-simple and shining example of opposite-type foods working well together. It also happens to be one of my favorites. Pineapple with Lime Zest.
Strawberries & Greens Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- For the Salad:
- 6 cups Mixed Greens – torn or chopped Iceberg & Romaine work great
- 1½ cups fresh strawberries sliced
- ½ cup Honey Goat Cheese or Feta crumbled
- 1- cup cheddar or Mexican-blend cheese shredded
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ cup Sugared Almonds – Fresh Gourmet Roasted Honey Almonds or my homemade sugared almonds at The Cookie Rookie http://www.thecookierookie.com/perfect-sugared-almonds/
- Croutons or my homemade croutons http://www.thecookierookie.com/perfect-homemade-croutons/
- For the Poppyseed Dressing:
- 1 c. sugar
- ? c. white vinegar
- 2 T orange juice
- 2 T dried onion flakes
- 2 t. dried mustard
- ½ t. black pepper
- • ¼ t. kosher salt or table salt
- • 1 T poppyseeds
- • 1½ c. canola oil
- For the Salad:
- Combine all salad ingredients except croutons. Toss and mix gently.
- Serve the croutons on-the-side.
- For the Poppyseed Sweet & Sour Dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients except the oil and poppyseeds in a blender or food processor.
- Mix on HIGH until well incorporated - 1 minute.
- Slowly, and with the blender on HIGH, slowly add the oil and mix the dressing until the oil is incorporated, 1-2 minutes.
- Add poppyseeds and mix another 30 seconds.