Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
I love, Love, LOve, LOVe, LOVE Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce. Just look at it!! The amber(ish)-colored chicken, the vibrant green-striped sauce, the Peruvian flavor-packed flavors. Of course you can’t tell from these photos what the flavor is, so you will just have to trust me. This dish…this chicken…this combo…is my favorite chicken recipe of all time!
The last time I made Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce was a couple of weeks ago, so just seeing these photos has created a craving I need to feed…NOW!!!
The Peruvian Green Sauce is a sauce I would be happy to suck from a straw.
On second thought, Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce might best be described by the #1 dictionary definition of the word, “divine” which is, “of, from, or like a god.” My thoughts aren’t blasphemous…they come from knowledge and they are pure.
Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce is divine! I KNOW you will love it.
- For the Chicken:
- 6 (4 lbs.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or skin-on chicken breasts (or use thin chicken strips for chicken skewers)
- For the Marinade/basting sauce:
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, ribs & seeds removed, diced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (I prefer Penzey’s Chili 3000)
- ¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh limejuice (juice from 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons Gourmet Garden Ginger Stir-In Paste or minced fresh ginger, minced
- For the Marinade:
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until well combined. *Reserve & refrigerate ¼ cup to use as marinade when ready to cook the chicken.
- For the Peruvian Chicken:
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag and use a meat pounder or rolling pin to pound the breasts into an even thickness. Pour all except ¼ cup marinade over the chicken. Squeeze out any air, close the bag and place in the fridge to marinate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 375F and spray a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in the prepared dish and cook 15 minutes. Brush the chicken with the reserved marinade, and cook another 15 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 160 on a meat thermometer. Remove the chicken from the oven, cover loosely with foil and allow the chicken to rest 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, drizzle the chicken with Peruvian Green Sauce.
*Recipe adapted from Serious Eats and Epicurious.