Read this description and I think you will agree. Fork-tender beef cooked in the slow-cooker then topped with thinly sliced cheese and Crispy Shallots, snuggled between soft, crunchy buns and dipped in perfectly seasoned au jus. That is what a French Dip sandwich is all about and should be. That is what this sandwich is and it is divine!
Easy French Dip Sandwiches served with Crispy Crunchy Shoestring Potatoes makes it most divine:-)
I know there are food purists – those who pooh-pooh using dry mixes, canned soups and packaged anything, and I agree most foods are healthier homemade. But, when it comes to Easy French Dip Sandwiches, I couldn’t care less. This recipe was created for delicious simplicity.
This lovely gal wants her fair share. Just look at her pleading eyes.
“My dream of finding the perfect recipe for Easy French Dip Sandwiches has finally come true.”
- *Please read NOTE first for best cooking and freezer tips.
- 5 pounds beef arm or rump roast,
- 4 cups (32 ounces) beef stock or broth, unsalted
- 2 packages (.7 ounces each) Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 2 packages (.6 ounces each) Beef Au Jus Mix
- 2 tablespoons Dry Sherry, optional
- Provolone, Swiss or Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- Hoagie style buns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Spray inside of slow-cooker and underside of lid with cooking spray.
- If a slower cooking time (7-8 hrs) is needed, turn slow-cooker to LOW. If a faster cooking time is needed (5-6 hrs), place slow-cooker to HIGH.
- Place beef inside slow-cooker and add beef broth.
- Sprinkle Italian Dressing Mix and Beef Au Jus Mix all over beef and broth.
- Cover and cook 5-8 hours (depending HIGH or LOW temperature) until fork tender.
- When beef is fork-tender, transfer to a cutting board and allow it to rest.
- Pour beef juices through a fine-mesh sieve and set aside. At this point, the sandwiches can be prepared, or the beef and broth can be placed in the fridge for use within the next two days. (*See note for freezing tip.)
- To make sandwiches:
- Heat skillet or griddle over medium heat. Butter hoagie buns on both halves of the buns, (insides only).
- Layer hot slices of beef over bottom bun, then add thin slices of cheese over hot beef. *Be sure the beef is hot enough to melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle the cheese with Crispy Shallots (if desired – and yes – you do desire) over cheese.
- Cover with top half of bun.
- Serve with side of hot au jus for dipping.
**It is also easier to freeze the beef and au jus after it has been refrigerated. Wrap the beef separate from the au jus to freeze. It works well to freeze the beef and au jus in serving portions that suit you and/or your family. Always, cook five pounds of beef, It freezes beautifully, and will keep up to 3 months.