This is a sponsored post on behalf of The Pasta Shoppe, but all opinions are my own.
Broccoli Apple & Bacon Pasta Salad
When my husband and I were dating, his best-friends’ mother Bonnie Asher served the original of this recipe Broccoli-Apple Salad at a dinner party and I fell in love with it. Each and every time I have made it my thoughts turn toward John & Bonnie Asher and their family; a family of six sons and one daughter (the baby), a family whose home seemed to always be filled with laughter, music, love and incredible food.
I collect recipes and have thousands. From my way-too-many recipes, there are those that have been the stars through years of dinner parties. Chopped Broccoli, Apple & Bacon Salad has always been one of the best and most often requested.
Broccoli-Apple Salad is surprisingly delicious. It is filled with crispy sweet apples, crunchy broccoli, salty bacon, savory green onions, the smooth texture of hard-boiled eggs and the sweet tang of the mayonnaise vinaigrette. Bonnie’s original recipe did not include pasta, but this year I thought it would be fun to make an even more festive version for the holidays and add Christmas Tree Pasta from The Pasta Shoppe. I also thought my granddaughter would love the red & green pasta trees. So starting this year, Bonnie’s salad has a new moniker – Broccoli Apple & Bacon Pasta Salad.
I first heard of The Pasta Shoppe through a fundraising campaign for my friend’s daughter’s school. I thought it was a great idea to sell a product that isn’t only a healthier option than most fundraisers, but also unique and fun. As I looked through the brochure, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of options. I only wish I had known about The Pasta Shoppe Pasta’s Fundraising Program when raising money for my church youth group several years ago.
The more I learn about The Pasta Shoppe pastas, the more I am impressed. They are not mass-produced, but are created in small batches and are made with the finest ingredients available – 100% durum semolina flour and all natural vegetable powders. There are more than 250 unique pasta shapes such as animals, holidays, sports, music, girls night out, ABC – even a Martini Time Pasta. The list goes on and on, and some pastas are available with tasty seasoning packets already included. Available, too, are soups & chilis, mac ‘n cheeses, pasta nests and (melt-in-your-mouth-delicious) Divine Meringues. Not only does The Pasta Shoppe have beautiful pastas, but Carey Aron’s (the owner) blog World of Pastabilities offers declicious pasta recipes such as Kale and Walnut Pesto and Butternut Squash & Kale Cannelloni.
**Don’t delay if your want your pasta to come in time for Holiday & Christmas parties – order your pasta before December 15th to receive your package by Dec.24th.
Broccoli, Apple & Bacon Pasta Salad
- 1/2 package The Pasta Shoppe Christmas Tree Pasta For 3 Steps to Cooking Perfect Pasta go to: http://www.worldofpastabilities.com/category/tips-and-gadgets/
- 1 head broccoli floweretes chopped into small bite-size pieces
- 2 eggs hardboiled, cooled & chopped into small cubes
- 3-5 green onions - sliced thin
- 4 strips bacon cooked crisp & crumbled
- 1 crisp apple diced with skin on - red delicious or gala work well - crisp & sweet
- 1/2 small package frozen peas - thawed slightly
- For the Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise not Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside until cool.
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add cooked & cooked pasta and mix gently.
- Mix mayonnaise, cider vinegar and sugar together. Stif until well blended and pour over the salad ingredients.
- Mix well and serve immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- This salad can be prepared up to 1 day early.